COVID-19 ENERGY ASSISTANCE FOR SMALL BUSINESS CUSTOMERS (CEAP-SB)
The Government of Ontario has made it easier for small businesses and registered charity customers (GS<50kW) to get the support they need to help pay their energy bills through the COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program (CEAP-SB).
The maximum available funding through CEAP-SB is now $1,500 for qualifying small business and registered charity customers, and eligibility is now open to customers who have past due amounts from at least one electricity bill since March 17, 2020.
Customers who have past due amounts and have yet to apply are encouraged to do so. In addition, customers who applied and received CEAP-SB support in 2020 may apply again to be considered for the increased funding amount.
With the updated criteria, more Burlington Hydro customers may now qualify for CEAP-SB, so even customers whose applications were not approved previously are encouraged to revisit the eligibility requirements noted below.
CEAP-SB funding is limited. Burlington Hydro will process applications in the order in which they are received. Submitting an application for CEAP-SB to Burlington Hydro does not guarantee funding.
About the Program
The Government of Ontario is providing $8 million to support small businesses and registered charity customers struggling to pay their energy bills as a result of COVID-19. The COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program (CEAP-SB) provides a one time, on-bill credit for eligible small business and registered charity customers to help them catch up on their energy bills and resume regular payments. CEAP is delivered directly by electricity utilities, including Burlington Hydro, further to rules laid out by the Ontario Energy Board (OEB).
Small business and registered charity customers are now eligible for CEAP-SB if they meet the following criteria:
- The customer has an active account with Burlington Hydro.
- The customer’s account is the General Service Rate Class (less than 50 kW). Note, customers can find information about their class on their bill.
- The customer has a registered business number or charitable registration number for the small business or registered charity operating out of the premises.
- The customer has overdue amounts owing from one or more electricity bill since March 17, 2020.
CEAP Benefit Amounts
Burlington Hydro customers may qualify for a one-time CEAP-SB credit for half of the electricity charges that are overdue on the date of their application, up to a maximum of $1,500.
How Do I Apply?
You can apply for CEAP-SB through Burlington Hydro. There are 4 ways to apply:
- Fill out the Online CEAP-SB Form and submit it directly from our website;
- Download the application, print and mail your completed form to: Burlington Hydro, 1340 Brant Street, Burlington, ON L7R 3Z7, or
- Apply by phone at (905)332-1851.
Burlington Hydro will process applications in the order in which they are received, and process complete applications within 10 business days of receipt. CEAP-SB funding is limited. Submitting an application for CEAP-SB to your utility or USMP does not guarantee funding.
Additional information is available from the Ontario Energy Board at: www.oeb.ca/ceap.